By George Cain, Patriots Daily Guest Contributor
Maybe looks ARE deceiving. I watch this Patriot defense and I think, there is no way they are going to the Super Bowl. Not enough talent, not enough health, not enough playmakers. You need balance on both sides of the ball right?
But then I look around the league and I start to question my own eyes. If the Patriots make it to Indianapolis they will do it with one of the worst statistical regular season defenses of any representative in Super Bowl history.
But, there have been teams with mediocre to bad defenses in recent years that have appeared in the big game. In just the last 6 years, New Orleans, Indianapolis and Arizona come to mind. New Orleans and Indianapolis walked out of those Super Bowls with the Lombardi Trophy. And Arizona, came pretty darn close. This is the NFL in the Polian rule era. Ironically, Bill Polian was the GM of the Buffalo Bills in
the 90’s, an explosive offensive team better suited for today’s NFL. Polian was just 20 years too late to help the fans of Buffalo, but he was able to change the game enough for Indianapolis to break through in 2006.
As for this season, it’s hard to get your mind around anything. Ron Borges seems to have it all figured out, I wish we were all as smart as Mr. Borges. Myself, I am not so sure. I mean look what’s happened so far this season.
- The Patriots beat the Chargers, Cowboys and the Jets, not once but twice.
- The Jets beat the Chargers and Cowboys and got destroyed by the Ravens.
- The Ravens beat the Steelers twice but lost to the Chargers.
- The Steelers beat the Patriots but lost to the Texans.
- The Texans beat the Bengals and lost to the Titans.
- The Titans beat the Ravens, lost to the Broncos and the pathetic COLTS.
- The Broncos lost to the Lions and Patriots.
- The Lions lost to the Saints and 49’ers.
- 49’ers lost to the Cowboys and Ravens but beat the Steelers.
- The Saints lost to the Packers on opening night, the Bucs and the Rams; two awful teams who will have new coaches next year.
- The Packers lost to Kansas City. That’s right Kansas City.
- And Kansas City lost to the Patriots, Jets, Broncos, Lions, Chargers, Bills, Steelers and Dolphins. And they fired their coach.
Everyone still with me? Good, because I got confused once I started writing about all these matchups. I guess it’s why the NFL is the premier sport in this country and it’s not even close. It’s also why the Patriots, with all their flaws, with all their defensive problems and with all their critics, have as good a shot as anyone in January.
Buckle up, it’s going to be a bumpy ride.
I recommend the Lagunitas IPA, if your over 21, its relaxing during trying times.